Competition Rules 2021
Receipt of your submission, whether postal or online, implies acceptance of the competition rules and non-compliance may result in disqualification.
- The competition is open to writers of all nationalities and all domiciles writing in English, aged 16 years and over by Sunday 16 May 2021 (the closing date).
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant. If there is any evidence to the contrary, the entry will be immediately disqualified.
- Entries must be previously unpublished and be unavailable for view anywhere online or for broadcast, and must not have won or been placed in other competitions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but should be withdrawn if they are published or win a prize prior to 16 July 2021, the day the winners will be announced. Entry fees will not be refunded.
- By entering the competition, you give permission for ChipLitFest to share your details with those members of the Festival who organise the compilation of the shortlist.
- Must be in English.
- May be of any genre, on any subject, and in any style.
- Should be aimed at adult readers, rather than for children.
- Should have a word count not exceeding 2,500 (this does not include the title) for a £5 entry fee, or a word count not exceeding 5,000 (not including the title) for a £8 entry fee. There is no minimum word count.
- Will be judged anonymously. Any identifying features on the submission will be disqualified. Entry fees for disqualified submissions will not be refunded.
- Should be accompanied by appropriate payment, i.e. £5 per submission up to 2,500 words, or £8 per submission up to 5,000 words, either by cheque or postal order, or online via Paypal.
- May be withdrawn in writing or by email. Entry fees for withdrawn submissions will not be refunded.
- Free entries are available for writers on low incomes. To qualify, you should be in receipt in one or more of the following: Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Universal Credit, Council Tax Support, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Personal Independence Payments, income-related ESA, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, or Statutory Maternity Pay.
To enter, please email your story (do not include your name on the story itself) to email@example.com along with a scan of a recent letter proving your eligibility. Entries will be submitted into the same system as paying entrants and will not include any identification of your status.
Please don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not in receipt of one of the above benefits but find yourself struggling to afford entry.
DEADLINE: 12 Midnight GMT Sunday 16 May 2021. Postal entries received after this date with postmarks of 16 May 2021 or before will be accepted.
Entrants who wish to make amendments or corrections to their submission must submit a new entry with payment in full of the entry fee. They should mark the new entry ‘Amended’ on the title page and in the name of the file. We will not enter into any correspondence or discussion about amendments or corrections.
Please make sure you use the correct postage. ChipLitFest will not cover any shortfall in postage.
Receipt of Entry:
Postal entries – if you require acknowledgement of receipt, please enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked 'ACKNOWLEDGEMENT' with your cover letter, submission and payment.
Online entries will receive email confirmation of payment from PayPal plus an email from ChipLitFest.
International entrants: please send an international reply coupon from your Post Office rather than stamps.
All entrants will be notified of the Top 10 shortlisted stories by Friday 19 June 2021. The winner and two runners up will be announced on or before Friday 16 July 2021.
Unrestricted rights to each entry remains with the relevant author.
- The judges' decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
- Judges will not comment on individual entries.
- Experienced readers will assist the named judge(s) to compile a shortlist.
- ChipLitFest reserves the right to change the judge(s) without notice.
ChipLitFest will award the following prizes:
First Prize: £500
Second Prize: £100
Third Prize: £50
ChipLitFest reserves the right to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary or appropriate. Changes to the rules will be posted on www.chiplitfest.com.
We prefer entrants to follow our entry instructions, but you will not be disqualified if you do not follow them to the letter. We only disqualify entries if they are named or if they exceed the word count (£5 for stories up to 2,500 words or £8 for stories up to 5,000 words, not including the title), or if they are not the author’s own original work.
Thank you for supporting ChipLitFest, and good luck with your entries.