We promote and encourage quality writing from amateurs and professionals alike, so the competition is open to everyone aged 16 or over by the closing date, 7 February 2018, not only in the UK, but overseas as well.
- Judge: Rachel Seiffert
- Sponsor: www.pennyshorts.com
- Entry fee: £5 for stories up to 2,500 words. £8 for stories up to 5,000 words
- Word Limit: 2,500 (£5) 5,000 (£8)
- Deadline (Closing Date): 12 Midnight GMT, Weds 7 February 2018
- First Prize: £500
- Second Prize: £100
- Third Prize: £50
The three winning stories will be published on the ChipLitFest website with author photos and biographies. There will also be the opportunity to feature on our sponsor's website www.pennyshorts.com
About Rachel Seiffert
Rachel Seiffert’s first novel, The Dark Room, (2001) was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, and made into the feature film Lore. She was named one of Granta’s Best of Young British Novelists in 2003, and in 2011 received the EM Forster Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Field Study, her collection of short stories, received an award from PEN International. Her second novel, Afterwards (2007) and third novel The Walk Home (2014) were longlisted for the Orange|Baileys Prize. Her books have been published in eighteen languages.
How to Enter
Applicants are encouraged to make their submission online as early as possible before the deadline. Postal entries are also accepted.
First, read the Competition Rules thoroughly. Non-compliance may result in disqualification.
Submission of an entry is taken as acceptance of the Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions.
- Your submission must be written in English or be your own work translated into English
- Add the title and word count on the front page. A cover page is not necessary.
- Your submission can be in any font, but must be in black type, 12pt. Handwritten entries will not be accepted.
- 1.5 or double spaced.
- Please number your pages.
- Single sided preferred.
- Please attach your document as a pdf or word doc. Maximum file size 2MB.
- Please name attachments with your exact story title. If untitled, with the exact first line.
- Please ensure your submission does not include your name or any other identifying marks.
We’re looking forward to receiving your entries and thank you for taking part.
Submit by Post
Submissions by post should be sent to:
and should include the following:
- A cover letter including your name, address and telephone number, plus email address (if applicable) and the title of your story(ies).
- Your submission, featuring only the title of the story and the word count on the front page with no other identifying marks whatsoever.
- A cheque or postal order for £5 per submission up to 2,500 words, or £8 per submission up to 5,000 words.
Cheques and postal orders are to be made payable to ‘ChipLitFest’. Please include your name and address on the back.
IMPORTANT: Your details should be included on your cover letter only, and not on your submission. Your submission should feature only the title of the story, the story itself and the word count, and should have no other identifying marks. Failure to delete identifying marks will result in disqualification.
Multiple entries are acceptable and may be posted together, but remember to adjust payment accordingly. Each entry should be on a new sheet.
If you require acknowledgement of receipt, please enclose a self-addressed postcard with ‘Acknowledgement’ written on it.
Here you can enter your submissions online using either the WorldPay or PayPal payment systems. You will need a credit or debit card to do this.
Please make sure you have read the entry instructions and the competition rules. Failure to abide by the rules may result in disqualification.
Please use the title of your short story as the name of the document, or if untitled, the first line.
Your submissions can be uploaded at the checkout, as a pdf or word doc. Please do not exceed 2MB in file size.
IMPORTANT: Please ensure your attachments do not include your name or any other identifying marks.
Multiple entries are accepted, but please amend your payment accordingly, i.e. £5 for stories up to 2,500 words, or £8 for stories up to 5,000 words.
Once payment has been received you will receive email acknowledgements from both PayPal and ChipLitFest.